Academy Farm Buildings

Title

Academy Farm Buildings

Subject

Academy Farm.

Description

In 1913, plans were made to accommodate a New Church farming family from Maryland on that farm, to enable the family’s children to attend Church schools. Sylvanus Alonso Powell, agreed to rent the farm for a one-year trial from the Academy while his son, Arthur Hallam “Hal” Powell served as the operator of the farm. In 1914, Trussel moved across the road to another farm, owned by John Pitcairn, and the Arthur Hallam Powell family moved onto the property and began operating what would be known as the “Academy Farm.” However, disagreements between the Academy business manager and the Powells resulted kept S.A. Powell from renewing the rental, but the Academy hired Hal to continue on as a salaried employee to run the farm.

Black & White photograph of the Academy Farm c. 1916. The view is from the "rear" of the farm looking along the lane toward Papermill Road (now Tomlinson Rd.). The house can be seen in the center with the barn toward the top right of the photo. The building in the bottom left of the photo is the (now ruined) Spring House, located down on the bank of the creek which runs through the farm.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Powell Family Papers
Born Digital Material Collection

Publisher

Academy of the New Church Archives

Date

c. 1916

Contributor

Vera Powell Glenn

Rights

Academy of the New Church Archives

Relation

ANC Photo Collection

Format

.jpg

Language

English

Type

image

Identifier

2010_01_12_0002

Coverage

Bryn Athyn, PA

Original Format

Black & white photograph

Physical Dimensions

5" x 7"

Files

Academy Farm  rear c1916.jpg

Citation

Unknown, “Academy Farm Buildings,” Bryn Athyn History, accessed January 31, 2023, https://ancarchives.omeka.net/items/show/1.