Aerial view of Bryn Athyn

Title

Aerial view of Bryn Athyn

Subject

Academy Farm

Description

In the end of the 19th century, a group of Philadelphians who were members of the Swedenborgian Church (the New Church) moved their church community to the “country” near the area known as Bethayres. Industrialist John Pitcairn purchased more than 500 acres of farmland on which to build a school (now the Academy of the New Church Secondary Schools) and homes for church members. Pitcairn hired the architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings to build his Beaux Arts style home, Cairnwood, completed in 1895. Around the same time, plans were designed by the famous landscape design firm of Olmsted & Eliot for the school and residential areas. Part of the land given by John Pitcairn to create the Academy of the New Church was a 68 acre farm, which they rented out.

In this photo, circa 1940, the trees from the Academy Farm orchard can be seen center-right.

Source

ANC Photo Collection

Publisher

Academy of the New Churchc

Date

c. 1940

Rights

ANC

Format

.jpg

Language

English

Type

image

Identifier

2011_10_17_0001

Coverage

Bryn Athyn, PA

Files

2011_10_17_0001.jpg

Citation

“Aerial view of Bryn Athyn,” Bryn Athyn History, accessed January 31, 2023, https://ancarchives.omeka.net/items/show/20.